Img

ProfessorB

"I really never thought of myself as unique. I'm just another soulja in the battle to inspire positivity to others." - Professor B. Check out our exclusive interview with the reggae rocker.

View more
img13

RockThePhoto

Jamsterdam Radio wants your best live performance photo for our #RockThePhoto contest. Send it!

View more
img13

Top5

We drop our Top 5 list for rappers to look out for in 2016. Listen for these artists coming to a speaker near you.

View more
June 13- #BuckleUpForKyle
Monday, June 8, 2015
I am saddened to share that on May 28th, 2015, my step-nephew, Kyle was killed in a car accident in
Rest in paradise, Kyle Jaymes Lucas
Northern California because he wasn't wearing his seat belt.  He was the designated driver that night and I was told that he might have hit something or had a bad tire, swerved to the side of the freeway, the car rolled and ejected Kyle out of the driver's seat, causing fatal head trauma that killed him. He was only 25 years old.  My sister and I were just talking about how level-headed he was an hour before we got the news of his accident.

He was a funny, smart young man with a good heart, one of the biggest ball-busters I ever knew (in a charming, funny way), and always showed people he cared when he did.  I remember he was there for me when I was in a tough situation, and barely really knew him (I met him for the first time when he was 17), but that's just what kind of heart he had. A big heart.  

His family wasn't just those blood-related to him, or married into his family, but I could also see that his friends were an important extension of his family.  I stayed an extra week in California (before moving back to Canada) for his high school grad, as well as his 18th birthday.  He has touched the lives of those around him, whether it was for a reason, a season, or a lifetime, and he will forever be missed.

This isn't the first time we hear of vehicular fatalities related to not buckling up, yet I've found myself constantly reminding people to buckle up before the car is in motion.  

The title of this post was taken from one of Kyle's good friends, Emily Silva, who I first noticed use #buckleupforKyle in a post she shared on his Facebook memorial page, and thought it would be great to take it a step further.  

This Saturday, June 13 would have been Kyle's 26th birthday, so how about we all honor his memory and take photos of ourselves in cars with our seat belts on, and get #buckleupforKyle trending on social media that day, to spread awareness of the importance of buckling your seat belt prior to even starting the car. We can learn from Kyle's mistake and save the lives of those around us by spreading this message.

Kyle's family has set up a gofundme page to raise funds for his funeral services, rescue efforts, and the remainder will be donated to in Kyle's name to Lucile Packard Children's Hospital in Palo Alto, CA., where he received Cancer treatment for Lymphoma back in 2003.

If you would like to help raise funds, you can donate on gofundme.com/koggielucas89.  Any denomination is greatly appreciated, and even if you simply share the link, it is also greatly appreciated.

Rest in paradise, Kyle Jaymes Lucas. Forever in our hearts.

@JerZGrlinCanada

Share this article!.
View or Make a Comment

0 comments: